Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Thursday, March 24, 2011

1000 Cranes for Japan and Tutorial



I learned to make paper origami cranes when I was young. After World War II, my father was stationed in Okinawa, where he learned to appreciate Japanese culture. When he retired from the Marines, he brought home several paper origami cranes from Vietnam which we hang on our Christmas tree. As a child he told me of the tradition of good luck they bring.

Yesterday, through the lovely blog
Chronicles of a Country Girl , I learned of a Flikr group called 1000 Cranes for Japan, a simple way to show support for it's people. In addition, The Miya Company is donating $5 for every image of a paper crane it receives up to $5000 to Save the Children Japan. Visit this link to find out more: The Miya Company: Save the Children Japan


Also, Students Rebuild is collecting 100,000 actual cranes. They will be woven into a sculpture and the Bezos Family Foundaiton has pledged $2/crane up to $200,000. The money will be used by Architects for Humaity's rebuilding efforts in Japan.See this link for more information: Students Rebuild



If you would like to participate, I have created a paper crane tutorial found here:
Origami Paper Crane Tutorial



This little crane is our newest addition to our Spring Nature Table.














5 comments:

  1. I love the new spring crane. I will start making some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! i learned to make paper cranes a child, and still love to make them. Thank you for sharing, we'll definitely be participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect! i love what this represents, we will be making some this weekend. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your great post through the link on "Friday's Nature Table". I linked to your post in a post of mine about our attempts at making paper cranes: http://thegettys.blogspot.com/2011/03/monday-math-origami-paper-cranes.html
    Thanks so much for the information and the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You designing cranes reminds me of back in the day when I made paper airplanes. My would always look the best but it would never win in races. That's really cool though that for every crane they see they donate 5 dollars. It's really inspiring how making cranes can help other people.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!