Festivals / Holidays               Thoughts On Parenting               Fun Things To Make               The Great Outdoors               Creative Learning

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I Am a Park Ranger

I've been away from the blog for some time now. When I am stressed, I retreat into myself and with compounded stressors in my life, my blogging fell by the wayside.  I am determined to "keep calm and blog on" but until I get back into the swing of things, I want to share a bit of what is going on in my world.

Many of you know that I am a National Park Ranger. So often in my career people have said how wonderful it must be to be a park ranger and I heartily agree with them. Right now we need your support and encouragement. This video says so much about the position park rangers are in right now.

When the parks reopen, please take time to tell a ranger how much you value their service.

 

4 comments:

  1. I won't wait until the parks reopen. I will say thank you right now. I'm sorry for those whose anger against the shut down take their frustrations out on you and on park property. I'm not happy for what has happened because our national parks should never be used as a political chess piece. I am hopeful that soon you will be able to return to the jobs you love, that people will take the time to bring you the support and encouragement you deserve and have rightfully earned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. I am going to pass them along to fellow rangers. :)

      Delete
  2. What has really gotten my goat is how much money they are spending to keep people from visiting national parks. Keeping parks open is considered non-essential, but patrolling and barricading parks from people wishing to visit them is essential??? Not only is being a park ranger essential to preserving our national heritage, it is not a job w/o risk. A local ranger here was killed last year trying to protect park visitors, by trying to stop a dangerous gunman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, a big concern for the NPS is that when people go to National Parks during a shutdown and get hurt, lost, or otherwise need services, or commit vandalism it is the unpaid essential (L.E.) rangers who have to go deal with them. This has happened many, many times over in the last several days and it is these people who require us to shut down the area. Thank you for showing your concern for the safety of rangers. Too many times in my career, I have worn a black band over my badge in mourning for staff members who have lost their life while in service to the public.

      Delete

The contents of this blog, including text, original photos and ideas are the sole property of the author. If you intend to use my text or images, please link back to this blog and give credit to How the Sun Rose. Please do not republish an entire post or post photos of my family. A notification email would be greatly appreciated too!